Years of corporate handouts achieved nothing. It’s time for something different

Thursday, June 13th, 2024

… corporate subsidies – either through tax incentives or direct funding and loans – now equal about $50-billion per year. That is slightly over one-half of the total amount of corporate taxes collected by the federal government and almost as much as they spend on health care.  only 20 per cent of these business subsidies aimed at increasing productivity actually boost real income for Canadians. The other 80 per cent are not only ineffective but have to be paid for by either more taxes or by decreasing spending on other priorities.

Tags: , ,
Posted in Policy Context | No Comments »

In defence of reason

Tuesday, October 9th, 2012

Oct. 08, 2012
the most recent federal budget reveals that the 19,000 job cuts announced therein were… targeted very precisely at researchers, statisticians, scientists and other organizations who might use data to contradict a government which believed that evidence and rational compromise are not the tools of enlightened public policy, but barriers to the pursuit of an agenda based on ideology over reason.

Tags: , , , ,
Posted in Inclusion Debates | No Comments »

Telling the naked truth is good politics

Tuesday, December 20th, 2011

Dec. 19, 2011
Most Canadians no longer believe their leaders speak the truth; they expect little of government and feel disengaged from the whole political process… Yet, it’s the truth and authenticity we crave, more than anything… Consider the explosion of technologies and the freedom and control they provide… Feeling more knowledgeable, connected and in control of our personal lives has also directly reduced our reliance on authority… Our political leaders have not only failed to adjust to this new reality, they also avoid honestly and directly engaging on our most pressing issues. And that’s what we desperately need.

Tags: ,
Posted in Governance Debates | No Comments »