“Canada had a common law duty of care to take reasonable steps to prevent on-reserve Indian children in Ontario, who had been placed in the care of non-aboriginal foster or adoptive parents, from losing their aboriginal identity. Canada breached this common law duty of care” … The next phase will now be to determine how much in damages the government owes the survivors, who were taken from their homes as children in the 1960s and 1970s and placed in non-indigenous care.
Child & Family History
Child & Family Historyposted July 5, 2015 / 1 Comment
The past 50 years have been a watershed for attitudes toward everything from sexism and human rights to littering (now almost a capital offence). By almost any measure you can find, people across the developed world today are the least violent, most law-abiding, hardest-working and most tolerant generation who ever lived… The biggest measurable change is in violent crime… It’s also awfully hard to complain about kids today. Most are conscientious and well-behaved. They don’t rebel the way the boomers did.
Child & Family Historyposted January 3, 2014 / 3 Comments
Thousands of Canada’s aboriginal children died in residential schools that failed to keep them safe from fires, protected from abusers, and healthy from deadly disease, a commission into the saga has found…. Schools and the government would not pay to have bodies shipped back to their families. And so they were placed in coffins and buried near the schools… Often, their parents in far-away reserves were never told what happened.
Child & Family Historyposted November 23, 2013 / No Comments
… now that the government’s settlement promises access to childhood files, the province is creating roadblocks once again, telling some it can’t locate their documents and charging others fees to do a freedom-of-information request… The promise to produce childhood files was part of the legal agreement reached just as the case went to court in September. It allows for a maximum of $35 million in compensation to survivors — and an apology from Premier Kathleen Wynne.
Child & Family Historyposted October 1, 2013 / 1 Comment
It was a decision agonizingly made by their parents, after she proved too difficult to care for at home. Huronia was billed as a great place for kids. “They said, ‘Don’t think of it as an institution, think of it as a happy place . . .’ They played this up to be a wonderful place where your children would be safe,” said Turner. “That was just a promotional little ditty to try and stick kids in there. It was the furthest thing from the truth.”
Child & Family Historyposted September 30, 2013 / No Comments
The 65,000 documents that will be released by the class-action lawsuit is expected to contain objective documentation of alleged abuses that happened at Huronia from police, witnesses and staff at the institution. But the documents will be held by the Archives of Ontario and only available by filing a freedom-of-information request. Material deemed to infringe on privacy or fall under one of the other numerous exceptions will be censored.
Child & Family Historyposted September 29, 2013 / No Comments
Marilyn and Jim Dolmage, who set out seven years ago to expose the atrocities that occurred at the Huronia Regional Centre for developmentally disabled children and get restitution for the residents who were still alive… It was Jim’s idea to launch the class-action lawsuit. It was Marilyn’s network of contacts, inside knowledge and ability to earn the trust of the vulnerable that made it possible.
Child & Family Historyposted September 26, 2013 / 1 Comment
The 65,000 documents that could have been made public as evidence in a class-action lawsuit over alleged abuses at the Huronia Regional Centre will instead be available only through freedom of information laws… Anyone wishing to see them will have to file a request under the provincial Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act , which can delay their release and result in portions being kept secret.
Child & Family Historyposted September 24, 2013 / No Comments
About 2,000 people were laid to rest on the hospital grounds, 1,440 in unmarked or numbered graves. Huronia was the subject of a recent $35-million class-action settlement between the province and former residents. As part of the deal the government has agreed to establish its own registry of deaths that occurred at the institution, though it’s unclear if that list will ever be made public or how it will differ from the one the institution maintained.
Child & Family Historyposted September 21, 2013 / No Comments
On Tuesday, the Ontario government settled a class-action suit with former residents of Huronia Regional Centre in Orillia. The terms include $35 million and a formal apology. The problems at the government-run institution for the developmentally delayed go back decades, and so do warnings… Author Pierre Berton wrote a haunting report for the Toronto Daily Star on Jan. 6, 1960